Intermedia's Hosted Exchange
Intermedia is a successful hosted Exchange vendor. We were recently updated by the firm, and the following may be of interest:
- Company believes it now has the greatest number of customers for full hosted Exchange--we see no reason to disbelieve this claim. These are seats for full MAPI running with normal Outlook along with all the rich MAPI functions (calendaring, tasks, shared folders, etc.), rather than users with just POP/IMAP access to Exchange.
- We estimate that Intermedia has about 200,000 such full MAPI licenses. Marketing VP Danny Essner estimates there may be a couple of million such instances of full hosted MAPI deployed. We're inclined to agree, once you cut out trial/test accounts. It's still very early days for hosted Exchange.
- Typical mix of hosted Exchange functionality includes BlackBerry access and spam and malware control; typical cost is around $16/user/month.
- Intermedia was the first hosted provider to support the beta version of E2010. That's impressive--it helps to validate the company's claim that its architecture helps it keep current with Microsoft. The main reason is that it doesn't use Microsoft's HMC.
... David Ferris
Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Strategy Service
Many Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, and OCS customers are at a planning crossroads, facing such questions as:
- Whether to migrate to Exchange 2010 and, if so, when
- Whether to migrate to Microsofts cloud-based offering or to that of Google
- How and when to implement tightly integrated telephony/unified messaging
Charting the course is difficult. It is also hard to find impartial advice because vendors and their business partners clearly have axes to grind.
Ferris Research can help you make the right technology plans. Investigate our Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Strategy Service today!
Notes Alternatives Strategy Service
Many Notes/Domino customers are considering moving to an alternative messaging and collaboration platform, such as IBMs cloud-based offering, Microsofts on-premises and cloud-based offerings, and Googles cloud-based offering.
Charting the course is difficult. Technology options are changing quickly, and migrations away from Notes/Domino are usually complex and expensive. It is also hard to find impartial advice: Notes/Domino competitors and their systems integrators clearly have an axe to grind.
Ferris Research can help you make the right technology plans. Investigate our Notes Alternatives Strategy Service today!
Archiving Strategy Service
Archiving products and services are evolving quickly, prompted by storage management, regulatory compliance, and e-discovery needs. Many products have been installed, but they are subject to replacement because of changing corporate requirements and changing vendor technology.
Ferris Research can help you make the right technology plans. Investigate our Archiving Strategy Service today!
Below are various active gossip threads on current events in the industry. To contribute information, follow the appropriate link or see our Gossip page for other vendor threads.