Spam Control Vendor Sendio Gets $3M Venture Funding
Sendio makes an email threat protection appliance, with special emphasis on spam control. On February 9, 2009, Sendio announced it had raised new equity funding of $3M.
Products and Competitors:
- Appliance that protects against email-based threats, including spam, viruses, and phishing.
- Challenge/response is a key element of the protection infrastructure.
- Product launched in January 2004.
- Main competitors are Barracuda, Cisco (through IronPort acquisition), and Google (through Postini acquisition).
- Spam control seen by Ferris Research as a mature and highly competitive market.
- Sendio has not yet attained significant revenues or breakeven.
Funding History and Transaction Summary:
- Prior venture funding of $6M.
- Current Series B financing of $3M.
- As revenues have not yet taken off, the business was valued on a Series A basis.
- Athenian Venture Partners is lead investor, accompanied by prior investors Momentum Venture Management, Shepherd Ventures, and Vicente Capital.
Investor Interest and Motivations:
- Mainstream VCs generally declined the opportunity. They are largely reluctant to invest at present, other than in current portfolio companies or early stage.
- The new investor, Athenian, likes the use of challenge/response, which it sees as a potentially disruptive spam control technique.
- Existing investors are providing continuing support for the company during difficult market conditions.
CEO Tal Golan's advice to other fund-seekers in today's climate is:
- VC funding market is tough at present, but may pick up from Q309.
- Strategic partners--such as Cisco, IBM, Intel, and Microsoft--are a good way to seek capital, plus they may give stockholders an exit option later on.
- It's good to use your personal network to find sources of funding.
- Investors network with each other. So, for example, investors you know personally can introduce you to other prospective investors.
... David Ferris
Latest Buzz ... Email Archive Migration: Plan for Stubbing
We hear that Kazeon is in acquisition talks with Symantec. Any further information is welcome--please contact David Ferris at email@example.com or +1 415 367 3436.
Below are various active gossip threads on current events in the industry. To contribute information, follow the appropriate link or see our Gossip page for other vendor threads.