Vendors: Ferris Research Will Provide Quotes for Your Press Releases
Ferris Research is trying to build its relationships with IT and business journalists. We are therefore offering vendors the following free services:
- Brief us on upcoming announcements
- We will then provide background/explanatory quotes for the press release
- You can refer press to us for interpretation of the press release and help as they develop their stories
To take us up on this offer, contact David Ferrisfirstname.lastname@example.org, or +1 415 367 3436
AXS-One Archiving Facilitates Notes-Exchange Migrations
Migrating between email systems is a substantial project, and specialized tools, such as those from Quest, are available to facilitate the process.
It turns out that if you install an email archiving system, easier migration is a side benefit. Much of the heavy lifting has already been done. Archiving vendor AXS-One illustrates. It has just announced its AXS-One Dynamic Archive Translation (AXS-One DATlet), which will be available 3Q08. This is designed to help Notes/Domino users migrate to Exchange.
It's not a panacea. Notes applications won't be migrated. The efforts they require to convert constitutes a substantial obstacle for most Notes/Domino users. ... David Ferris
CaseCentral, E-Disco Vendor: Update
We were recently briefly by CaseCentral, which offers a hosted service that helps companies and law firms manage litigation cases.
- Company historically sells to law firms; now it also has a focus on selling direct to corporate IT and in-house counsel.
- Work begins once a corpus of evidence has been gathered; i.e., collection/processing/culling down of data/early case assessment done before CaseCentral comes in to play.
- Focus is on handling the case once relevant evidence is gathered and in presentable shape. For example, the service provides for:
- Concurrent access to same document by many different people on different cases.
- Access by many different people from many different legal teams for many cases.
- Appropriate controls--people see only ESI and metadata that's relevant to them.
- Spotting missed deadlines.
- Identifying most- and least-efficient review lawyers.
- Repeated processes; e.g., use of standard letters.
- Profitable; calendar 2007 revenues were $22 million, project revenues of about $25 million to $30 million in 2008.
- Today, 65% of income is from SaaS; goal is to increase that to 75% by 2010.
- Competitors include Kroll Ontrack, Lexis/Nexis.
- Company feels its main competitive strengths are:
- Multi-tenant scalability: can handle very large cases, and many thousands of concurrent cases, with many thousands of people involved.
- Handling of metadata. For example, many lawyers can mark up a document in different ways (one with comments, another with a bubble, another does some redaction, say), but each lawyer only sees the changes relevant to them.
- Process analytics that let you see who's most efficient and effective.
... David Ferris